Still a Giant Beer Week Slalom Ahead!
If it’s Wednesday, this must be Beer Week hump day.
And indeed, we’re sailing over the midpoint: this giant week will last through Sunday, 2/18. Let’s do a virtual training run, checking out the features of the course ahead. Whether you’ve been seeking out a destination for a particular pint each night or you’re saving up your beer venturing for the upcoming weekend, the SF Beer Week event schedule is looking pretty glorious right about now.
Let’s carve out some Wednesday freshness
- At Resolute in SF, there’s no doubt during Fresh Hops! Get Fresh Hop Focused Beers Here! This mini-festival promises freshly kegged hoppy brews over a two-day span but Wednesday will be freshest, so you know what to do.
- Nearby, the Henhouse Brewing Co.’s Big Chicken will be arriving at bars like Old Devil Moon for their V Day Popup and at Brewcade, where it can be contrasted with a selection of massive stouts, all over a video game.
Love has many facets: Three North Bay events help wash away Valentine’s Day’s ambiguities with community love and the release of the North Bay’s own SFBW collaboration, Instant Classic, at Third Street Alehouse, anti-Valentines singles solidarity at 101 North Brewing Co., versus a pleasant romantic meal at Creekside Pizza and Taproom. However you feel, beer week has you covered.
- If heading down to check out the Santa Cruz beer sense, enjoy a community Valentine’s card in the form of a We Love SFBW tap takeover at Beer Thirty, which includes a chance to indulge in the Monterey Bay region’s official SFBW collab, the one-off salted caramel stout, A Bay of Our Own.
- Each of the SFBW collabs is pouring someplace around our thriving local beer scene, but it may be hard to track them all down one by one. Most of the 10+ variations will be on every day during the SFBW Collaboration Beer Showcase at The Rake, onsite at Admiral Maltings on Alameda Island.
- The Drink SF Beer Shuttle — a free monthly service offered by the San Francisco Brewers Guild — returns with the Dogpatch edition. Not only can you get unlimited free rides between four great neighborhood breweries, but each will be offering something special. Triple Voodoo Brewery and Harmonic Brewing will each be serving a different approach to chocolate pairing flights, Smokestack at Magnolia Brewing Co. will be celebrating Brewing with the Ones You Love showcasing limited release guest beers from New Belgium Brewing and Oud Beersel plus locally produced brawny brews for Strong Beer Month, and Speakeasy Ales and Lagers has a super-fun Girl Scout Cookie pairing. All four locations will also be pouring a terpene-laced beer (sans psychedelics), their individual installments of the official SFBW Dogpatch collaboration.
Thursday brings an avalanche of events to tempt you
- Had that beer dinner experience yet? Looking for something special, to treat yourself? Consider the Alesong & Ale Apothecary Beer Dinner at Mikkeller Bar SF.
- Want to peek (and sip) into the inner workings of the Drake’s Brewing Co. barrel-aging program? Look into the Drake’s Cellar Release event at their San Leandro brewery.
- Ready to try beautiful beers while helping California’s Central Coast recover from a daunting fire season? Look to the Central Coast Showcase & Benefit at The Rare Barrel in Berkeley.
- Hops for Housing is back. Homebrewer meets pro brewer for an Am-Pro event resulting in some of the smallest batch “semi-pro” beers you could ever imagine.
- Rosamunde Sausage Grill on Mission Street is cooking up a treat in conjunction with Laughing Monk Brewing Co. for Belgian Beer, Brats & Waffles.
- The Market on Market has arranged a West Coast Beer Bash, collecting seldom-seen kegs from Ex Novo, New Glory, Kern River and Boneyard breweries.
- Fort Point Beer Co. and Proxy Walk-in Theater present a showing of Blade Runner 2049 at Proxy. The outdoor film’s free. Purchase a beer for charity and then get dystopian!
Friday, Oh My Friday
- ThirstyBear Organic Brewery’s annual Cask & Queso, Triple Fermented evening encompasses artisanal approaches to cheeses and breads paired with beer brewed in house plus a roomful of specially prepared casks from brewer friends. Social, savory and satisfying.
- Do you know a world-class IPA? In the spirit of friendly competition, make your own call on which beer’s best in the Nor Cal vs. So Cal IPA Challenge at Pacific Standard in Berkeley.
- And there are not only events worth traveling for, but some that will go the physical distance for you. Such as waking up for a San Diego experience at Social Kitchen and Brewery’s Beer Breakfast with Monkey Paw.
- The Ave Bar also in SF delivers a glass-by-glass tour of East Bay breweries during 510 Brews night.
- For those in South Bay, the Whole Foods Market taproom in Santa Clara will be bringing the SF installment of the SFBW official collaboration to you, the one-off #10 Foggy IPA (both in cans and on draft).
- Or grab a taste of the California foothills from the vantage point of the peninsula with a Mraz Brewing takeover at Ale Arsenal.
You could keep going and going.
Second Saturday brings showcases and discoveries
- Listen, learn and laugh at Almanac Beer Talks, at the new Almanac Beer Co. brewery taproom on Alameda Island.
- 30th Celebrator Beer News Anniversary fest benefitting the California Craft Brewers Association brings the community together at Berkeley’s legendary Trumer Brewery.
- Delve into the mysteries at the intersection of wine and beer with the Woods Beer Co.’s Divine Origins Release at all their cozy locations around SF, Oakland and Treasure Island.
- Go international with the Japan Beer Fest at the Trappist, in Oakland.
- Investigate the goodies at Second Sour Saturday at the Noc Noc Barbary Coast location on Broadway in SF.
There are so many more to choose from.
Sunday Beery Sunday
The last day of SF Beer Week 2018 will offer memorable and tasty events from the shores of Monterey Bay to Santa Rosa, from Livermore to SF. It’s not over til it’s over.
- 21st Amendment Brewery promises beers and brewers at the annual Brewers Sunday Tea, this year featuring the SF OG Brewers Collab Release Party, a project that reunited brewers who worked in the city together back in the day. Drop by and ask for a story.
- Put on your critical drinking cap at the tenth annual Beer Judging 101 event in Pleasanton, where you can learn about beer styles and get a glimpse into what beer judges look for when blind-tasting to award medals.
- Shadow Puppet Brewing Co. in Livermore has your Backyard Bayou Cajun feast and beer pairing lined up. If you didn’t celebrate Mardi Gras on Tuesday, don’t miss this chance to catch up today.
- SF’s Barebottle Brewing Co. brings it in a neighborhood vein, inviting multiple comfort food trucks for a kid-friendly Food Truck Bonanza – Slider & Tot Fest to enjoy along with their juicy and hoppy brews.
Lastly, if in the heart of SF, we have a hidden gem “any time” spot for fan of both sport and great beer. The brewpub housed inside Bartlett Hall at Union Square, SF, has been flexing serious craft beer muscles over the last year, winning Best of Show in the Los Angeles International Beer Competition for its barrel-aged version of Dark Bullitt featuring Four Barrel Coffee, plus three gold medals and a silver for diverse beer styles. If looking to catch some Olympic coverage, swing in and enjoy these treats.
How will you wind up your very last day of SF Beer Week? Use the Schedule search tools to select the best bet from among many delightful nightcaps available.
Explore responsibly. SFBW comes but once a year, so don’t miss out on the amazing beers, people and adventures still to be had. And then be grateful if you have President’s Day off — now that’s a Monday to appreciate! Happy Beer Week.