SF Beer Week is organized by the Bay Area Brewers Guild, but it’s hundreds of local breweries, bars, restaurants and other venues across the Greater Bay Area that make SF Beer Week one of the biggest and best beer weeks in the world. In 2018, over 900 events were held throughout the region in celebration of independent craft beer.
This document contains what you need to know for developing and submitting an SF Beer Week event. Start planning your events now!
WHY HOST AN EVENT
- Events are a great opportunity to engage craft beer enthusiasts and new customers during a week of heightened awareness about products they love.
- SF Beer Week will promote your event and participation in the craft beer community, bringing greater exposure to your business or products.
- Your fans and customers will enjoy participating in SF Beer Week.
- By helping to promote and increase awareness of craft beer, your business and all businesses related to craft beer will prosper.
Beer + Food
- Special food and beer pairings
- Beer dinners, brunches, breakfasts or lunches
Showcase Craft Beer
- New beer release parties
- Special beer flights, by style, region, vintage, packaging, process, etc.
Special Guests & Activities
- Meet the Brewer nights
- Biking, busing or walking tours
- Thematically match special releases with unique entertainment. Past events featured beer pairings with movie showings, bowling, arcade and more.
- Educational events geared towards brewing styles, history, science, technology, art, collectibles, etc.
- Homebrewing demonstrations
- Brewers, host an open brew day
- Collaborate with other businesses, experts, artists, etc.
- Any special occasion (see our definition of an “event” under Requirements) that celebrates and promotes the quality, heritage and/or future of craft brewing will be considered. Be creative!
- Events must promote and embody the spirit of craft beer, which is quality beer that celebrates small, independent brewers from the US and abroad, its cultural tradition and pioneering, innovative spirit.
- The focus of an event must be the promotion of independent breweries that are members of the Bay Area Brewers Guild, the Brewers Association, or that conform to those organizations' accepted definition of an independent craft brewery.
- Events should be exceptional and emphasize QUALITY over quantity. They should be fun activities, educational, invite food pairing opportunities, and most importantly, inspire, surprise and excite beer lovers to support craft beer year long. Push your team to be creative. Exceed expectations.
- Most importantly, events must be true events — meaning they must feature a special, unique or rare selection of beer, activity, guest and/or food component, and are generally considered special and exceptional occasions, not a usual or normal activity that may be held any day of the year.
- SFBW will NOT approve events centered on discounts or giveaways, that are typical happy hour, pint night or pricing specials, that promote common, unexceptional, ‘every day’ tap list offerings, or that encourage excessive drinking.
- Unless an event genuinely spans multiple hours of a day (e.g. a festival), events -- including and especially Tap Takeovers or Style Showcases -- must be restricted to 4 hours on the schedule or be set as an All-Day Event, in which cases they shall display differently from a normal Event on the schedule and Day Guides.
- Tap Takeovers or Style Showcases must offer special, new or rare releases as part of the beer selection. Only sponsors will be allowed to list more than four of these types of events at their venue over the course of SFBW.
- SFBW is a curated list. We reserve the right to reject or remove submissions at our discretion, including but not limited to postings that contain language or images that may be deemed offensive, discriminatory, inappropriate or violate laws, or that use an image, name or mark without proper authorization.
- Events must be submitted in standard sentence formatting. Any listings submitted using ALL CAPS, or odd or unusual formatting will not be approved.
- All events are edited to maintain a consistent copy style and readability across the site. Once an event is approved, the only allowable edits will be material changes, such as an event's time, place or description. Note: Certain fields, including an event's title, get locked down once published and can only be changed by contacting us directly with your request; when doing so, make sure to include the title, location and day of the event you want changed.
- Venue hosts may resubmit a rejected event for approval if the issue with the event has been rectified.
- ABC REQUIREMENTS: Only a venue host or, if a special event, a third-party nonprofit can pay for events on the SFBW website. The CA Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) dictates that alcoholic beverage manufacturers (breweries), importers, suppliers, wholesalers or distributors cannot submit or pay for event listings being held at a retail license holder’s venue or that promote the retail sale of alcoholic beverages.
EVENTS vs. WEEK-LONG SPECIALS
Two distinct types of activities are supported, each displaying in a different manner and subject to a different fee.
EVENTS - $35 each
Activities happening at a specific time and place during SF Beer Week.
Events will appear in the main schedule and in Day Guides. They are distinct stand-alone events that fulfill all the above requirements, ie. feature a rare, limited or special selection of beer or food available at a particular time; feature guest appearances or similar one-time activities or experiences, etc.
WEEK-LONG SPECIALS - $50 each
Activities people may pursue at no specific time during SF Beer Week.
Week-Long Specials do NOT appear in the main schedule OR in the Day Guides but are linked to from those pages, and are filterable and selectable for people's itineraries. They are proactively promoted as activities or specials happening during SFBW that consumers can pursue in an “on demand” fashion. Typically they are repeat activities or ongoing offerings available over multiple days — for ex., an activity or promotion where unique beer offerings, beer cocktails, a special menu, beer and food pairing, or other ‘specials’ are available for consumers to come in and enjoy as their schedule permits.
- Create an Event Host Account here.
- Add basic account information and select the number of event listings you'd like to purchase.
- Approve payment. Now you can access your account dashboard.
- Select and fill in your organization's profile.
- Select an unused event, fill in the event's information, then Submit for approval.
- Upon submission, an event is "pending" until reviewed to ensure it meets these SF Beer Week Event Guidelines. ** While we try to process events within 48 hours, this process can take up to five business days, so please be patient. **
- Once your event is approved, it will appear on the SF Beer Week website.
NOTE: The full SFBW website with event listings will launch in early December. Events submitted prior will be held in queue; those submitted after will appear as soon as they’re processed and approved. Sign up for our email list at the bottom of the SF Beer Week home page to be notified of key dates.
- BE SPECIFIC when describing your event. List participating breweries and beers you’ll be serving. Specify the culinary theme or menu items. Provide the brewer’s name if he or she will be present. This will draw people to your event and helps the media write about it.
- You may update or edit certain fields of your event listing after approval. Just sign back into the website using your account ID and password to access your event listings. NOTE: Please make only _essential and material_ changes once your event has been approved. All events are edited for consistent copy and presentation across the site, and these style edits must be maintained. Reversing edits made by our staff once an event is published will result in the event being taken down WITHOUT a refund.
- Don’t forget to add a logo or image to your event listing to better stand out on the schedule.
HOW ARE EVENTS PROMOTED?
Marketing materials to promote your involvement in SF Beer Week are sent to host venues in early to mid January. Event submission does NOT guarantee materials, however, as materials are distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis. The best way to ensure your venue receives materials is to get your events submitted in prior to December 21, 2018.
All SF Beer Week events are actively promoted through the website, which will see over 1.3 million event clicks and is searchable and filterable by region, venue, event type, event attribute, as well as available for people to put on personal itineraries to promote to their friends. Events may also be selectively promoted via email (10k+) and to Facebook (20k+) and Twitter (10k+).
SF Beer Week also offers many opportunities to promote your venue and events through our sponsorship packages. These packages include unlimited event submissions and provide greater exposure for your events as well as tickets to the SF Beer Week Opening Gala. As a sponsor, you’ll get early exclusive access to the Gala's Brewers Lounge, featuring complimentary food and drink, separate bathrooms, and mixing and mingling with brewers and other craft beer industry players. Check out our sponsor kits here.